Overall Scientific Challenge
The overall challenge in this area is the development of multiscale theories and computational tools capable of handling several orders of magnitude in length scales (Ångstrom to mm) with required fidelity to fully integrate with and be informed by experimental studies. The national vision of materials design has prioritized the use of modeling and computation, integrated with physical experimentation and cyberinfrastructure. Since the properties of a material are determined by its structure at different length and time scales, our goals are the development of advanced multiscale theoretical foundations, fast algorithms to handle high throughput computations, high resolution/fidelity imaging and visualization, andbig data analytics including uncertainty quantification. These models and tools must not only bridge the physics across multiple scales, but also be fully integrated with experimental observations and materials genome databases via an iterative design loop (Figure 2). A lasting legacy will be the availability of the developed computational tools and the database (e.g., Materials Data Bank, MDB, discussed below) to the broad materials research community.
While the value of multiscale modeling and computation in materials science is receiving increasing recognition, most current efforts are focused on theories with well-separated and limited scale ranges. We will integrate proven theories at local scales to develop a theoretical and computational framework enabling the exploration of material design, synthesis, structure and properties at an unprecedented range of scales, applicable to the model systems explored in the thrusts and a broader set of materials. The research goals are organized into two broad areas: first, we will develop multiscale theories and computational tools to guide and assist the three thrusts in the screening of materials’ composition, assembly and processing. New model reduction, novel learning methodologies and multi-level image analysis strategies will be incorporated to accelerate the modeling-experiment iterative development cycle. In addition, we will develop new courses and curricula for training students in multiscale theories and simulations. Especially, a new MS degree program in computational science will be launched at USCB. Second, we will implement our multiscale models and image analysis algorithms in an open source computational infrastructure designed to meet infrastructure needs for the material systems in this proposal. This framework will combine data analytics, experimental observations, visualization, and machine learning using the interactive, iterative design loop illustrated in Figure 2. The models and computational tools that we develop will be shared with the broader materials science community.
Searchable Spreadsheet: may be sorted by Author Last Name, Article Title, Publication Name, Publication Year, MADE in SC Thrust/Research Cluster, or MADE in SC Project Year and includes link to view article online
- Choudhury, Chandan; Tu, Sidong; Luzinov, Igor; Minko, Sergiy; Kuksenok, Olga (2018). Designing Highly Thermostable Lysozyme-Copolymer Conjugates: Focus on Effect of Polymer Concentration. Biomacromolecules, 19, 4, 1175-1188
- Albarran, Guadalupe; Rassolov, Vitaly; Schuler, Robert (2018). OH Radical as a Probe of the Spin Polarizability in 1- and 2-Naphthol. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 122(16), 4015-4022
- Savchak, Oksana; Morrison, Tyler; Kornev, Konstantin G.; Kuksenok, Olga (2018). Controlling deformations of gel-based composites by electromagnetic signals within the GHz frequency range. Soft Matter, 2018, 14, 8698-8708
- Chang, Dongsook; Li, Tianyu; Li, Lengwan; Jakowski, Jacek; Huang, Jingsong; Keum, Jong Kahk; Lee, Byeongdu; Bonnesen, Peter V.; Zhou, Mi; Garashchuk, Sophya; Sumpter, Bobby G.; Hong, Kunlun (2018). Selectively Deuterated Poly(ε-caprolactone)s: Synthesis and Isotope Effects on the Crystal Structures and Properties. Macromolecules. 51(22), 9393-9404
- Jakowski, Jacek; Huang, Jingsong; Sumpter, Bobby G.; Garashchuk, Sophya (2018). Theoretical assessment of the nuclear quantum effects on polymer crystallinity via perturbation theory and dynamics. International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 118(20), e25712
- Tu, Sidong; Choudhury, Chandan; Luzinov, Igor; Kuksenok, Olga (2019). Recent advances towards applications of molecular bottlebrushes and their conjugates. Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science. Online in advance of print.
- Cao, Z.; Dan, Y.; Xiong, Z.; Niu, C.; Li, X.; Qian, S.; Hu, J. (2019). Convolutional Neural Networks for Crystal Material Property Prediction Using Hybrid Orbital-Field Matrix and Magpie Descriptors. Crystals, 9, 191
- Sun, Yandong; Zhou, Yanguang; Han, Jian; Liu, Wei; Nan, Cewen; Lin, Yuanhua; Hu, Ming; Xu, Ben (2019). Strong Phonon Localization in PbTe with Dislocations and Large Deviation to Matthiessens Rule. npj Compuatational Materials, 5, 97.
- Yang, Jia-Yue; Zhang, Wenjie; Hu, Ming (2019). Decoupling Thermal and Electrical Transport in a-Mg-AgSb with Synergic Pressure and Doping Strategy. Journal of Applied Physics, 125, 205105.
- Wang, Huimin; Qin, Guangzhao; Yang, Jiayue; Qin, Zhenzhen; Yao, Yagang; Wang, Qiang; Hu, Ming (2019). First-principles Study of Electronic, Optical, and Thermal Transport Properties of Group III-VI Monolayer MX (M = Ga, In; X = S, Se). Journal of Applied Physics, 125, 245104.
- Sun, Yandong; Zhou, Yanguang; Han, Jian; Hu, Ming; Xu, Ben; Liu, Wei (2020). Molecular Dynamics Simulations of the Effect of Dislocations on the Thermal Conductivity of Iron. Journal of Applied Physics, 127, 045106.
- Palkar, Vaibhav; Aprelev, Pavel; Salamatin, Arthur; Brasovs, Artis; Kuksenok, Olga; Kornev, Konstantin G. (2019). Rotating Magnetic Nanorods Detect Minute Fluctuations of Magnetic Field. Physical Review E, 100(5), 1-5.
CONFERENCE PAPERS, POSTERS OR PRESENTATIONS
Searchable Spreadsheet: may be sorted by Author Last Name, Title, Type, Location, Year, MADE in SC Thrust/Research Cluster, or MADE in SC Project Year
- Dey, Bijoy, Presentation, 2017, Hamilton-Jacobi equation, reaction action surface and the emergence of the force concept in chemical reaction dynamics, 2017 Southeastern Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Charlotte, NC
- Tu, Sidong, Presentation, 2018, Engineering Highly Stable Enzyme-Polymer Conjugates: Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study Engineering Highly Stable Enzyme-Polymer Conjugates: Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study, Society For Biomaterials 2018 Annual Meeting and Exposition, Atlanta, GA
- Wang, Fang; Schiller, Ulf, Presentation, 2018, Mesoscopic simulation of transport phenomena in fibrous porous media, International Conference for Mesoscopic Methods in Engineering in Science, Newark, DE
- Kuksenok, Olga, Meeting, 2018, Pattern Formation in Hydrogels - Controlling Functionality via Feedback Mechanism, 2018 Spring Materials Research Society Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Schiller, Ulf, Presentation, 2018, Simulation-driven optimization of stents for treatment of brain aneurysms, International Conference on Discrete Simulation of Fluid Dynamics, Worcester, MA
- Schiller, Ulf, Presentation (invited), 2018, Application-Driven Multiscale Modeling in Materials Science and Biomedicine, Amsterdam
- Schiller, Ulf, Presentation (invited), 2018, Coupling of Molecular Dynamics and Lattice Boltzmann, Stuttgart
- Schiller, Ulf, Presentation (invited), 2018, Mesoscopic Simulation of Transport Phenomena in Fibrous Porous Media, Fargo, ND