MADE in SC Thrust 2
Stimuli-Responsive Polymeric Materials
The overall challenge of Thrust 2 is to develop new generations of dynamic materials that can respond and adapt to external stimuli, leading to new knowledge and technological advances. Thrust 2 will develop sensing and self-healing polymeric materials that respond to environmental stimuli. These dynamic polymers will respond with macroscopic property changes resulting from chemical or physical structural reorganization including cleavage or restoration of chemical bonds, phase reorganization or conformational changes. Such advances will enable an array of applications, ranging from self-repairing polymers for structural applications, to new polymer-based sensors, to biomedical devices that release drugs or purify water. We will investigate stimuli important for applications such as thermal or electromagnetic radiation, environmental changes (solvent, pH, ionic strength, matrix), electrical or magnetic fields and mechanical stress.
Realizing the desired properties by the traditional route is slow because it relies on complex syntheses and specialized characterization. The top-to-bottom approach for the self-assembly of multicomponent and multiphase materials, such as block copolymers/nanoparticle systems, is an appealing alternative. To augment these approaches, we will utilize a multiscale computational modeling approach to design polymers and elucidate the fundamental principles governing these materials through an iterative loop involving synthesis, processing, characterization and modeling. This approach will improve the fundamental modeling and simulation capabilities by resolving cases where simulations and experimental results do not converge. The focus of the research will be on: (1) developing the next generation of self-repairing materials; and (2) developing principles governing functions and responses of molecular sensors. Both areas of research will have significant societal and technological impacts by implementing innovative solutions to energy, health, and homeland security sectors and transforming daily lives. Results from simulations will inform the design of second generation materials in advanced years of the project.
- Pageni, Parasmani; Yang, Peng; Chen, Yung Pinh; Huang, Yucheng; Bam, Marpe; Zhu, Tianyu; Nagarkatti, Mitzi; Benicewicz, Brian; Decho, Alan; Tang, Chuanbing; (2018). Charged Metallopolymer-Grafted Silica Nanoparticles for Antimicrobial Applications. Biomacromolecules. 19(2), 417-425.
- Choudhury, Chandan; Tu, Sidong; Luzinov, Igor; Minko, Sergiy; Kuksenok, Olga(2018). Designing Highly Thermostable Lysozyme-Copolymer Conjugates: Focus on Effect of Polymer Concentration. Biomacromolecules, 19, 4, 1175-1188
- Savchak, Mykhailo; Borodinov, Nikolay; Burtovyy, Ruslan; Anayee, Mark; Hu, Kesong; Ma, Ruilong; Grant, Anise; Li, Hongmei; Cutshall, Daniel B.; Wen, Yimei; Koley, Goutam; Harrell, William R.; Chumanov, George; Tsukruk, Vladimir; Luzinov, Igor(2018). Highly Conductive and Transparent Reduced Graphene Oxide Nanoscale Films via Thermal Conversion of Polymer-Encapsulated Graphene Oxide Sheets. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS INTERFACES. 10(4), 3975-3985
- Borodinov, Nikolay; Gil, Dmitry; Savchak, Mykhailo; Gross, Christopher E.; Yadavalli, Nataraja Sekhar; Ma, Ruilong; Tsukruk, Vladimir V.; Minko, Sergiy; Vertegel, Alexey; Luzinov, Igor(2018). En Route to Practicality of the Polymer Grafting Technology: One-Step Interfacial Modification with Amphiphilic Molecular Brushes. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 10(16), 13941-13952
- Lamm, Meghan; Wang, Zhongkai; Zhou, Jiangjun; Yuan, Liang; Tang, Chuanbing; Zhang, Xinzhou; (2018). Sustainable Epoxy Resins Derived from Plant Oils with Thermo- and Chemo-Responsive Shape Memory Behavior. Polymer. 144(), 121-127
- Wei, Liying; Demir, Tugba; Grant, Anise; Tsukruk, Vladimir; Brown, Philip J.; Luzinov, Igor(2018). Attainment of Water and Oil Repellency for Engineering Thermoplastics without Long-Chain Perfluoroalkyls: Perfluoropolyether-Based Triblock Polyester Additives. Langmuir 2018, 34, 43, 12934-12946
- Tu, Sidong; Choudhury, Chandan; Luzinov, Igor; Kuksenok, Olga(2019). Recent advances towards applications of molecular bottlebrushes and their conjugates. Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science. Online in advance of print.
- Savchak, Oksana; Morrison, Tyler; Kornev, Konstantin G.; Kuksenok, Olga(2018). Controlling deformations of gel-based composites by electromagnetic signals within the GHz frequency range. Soft Matter, 2018, 14, 8698-8708
- Petty, Jeffrey T.; Yunus, Ahmed; Ganguly, Mainak; He, Chen; Goodwin, Peter; Lu, Yi-Han; Dickson, Robert M. (2018). A DNA-Encapsulated Silver Cluster and the Roles of Its Nucleobase Ligands. Phys. Chem. C.122(49), 28382-28392
- Yang, Ying; Davidovich, Dmitriy; Hornat, Chris ; Urban, Marek; (2018). Leaf-Inspired Self-Healing Polymers. Chem, Volume 4, Issue 8, 9 August 2018, 1928-1936
- Lantz, Kayla; Sarkar, Amrita; Littrell, Kenneth C.; Li, Tianyu; Hong, Kunlun; Stefik, Morgan(2018). Cavitation Enables Switchable and Rapid Block Polymer Exchange under High-XN Conditions. Macromolecules. 51(17), 6967-6975
- Marsh, Zachary; Lantz, Kayla; Stefik, Morgan(2018). QCM detection of molecule-nanoparticle interactions for ligand shells of varying morphology. Nanoscale. 10(40), 19107-19116
- Armas, Jeremy A.; Reynolds, Karina J.; Marsh, Zachary M.; Stefik, Morgan; Scott, Gregory E.; Zhang, Shanju (2018). RingBanded Spherulitic Crystals of Poly (3butylthiophene) via Controlled Solvent Evaporation. Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics. 219(19), 1800204-
- Yeshchenko, O. A.; Malynych, S. Z.; Polomarev, S. O.; Galabura, Yu.; Chumanove, G.; Luzinov, I.(2019). Towards sensor applications of a polymer/Ag nanoparticle nanocomposite film. RSC Advances. 9(15), 8498-8506
- Lantz, K. A.; Clamp, N. B.; van den Bergh, W.; Sarkar, A.; Stefik, M.(2019). Nanomaterials: Full Gamut Wall Tunability from Persistent Micelle Templates via Ex Situ Hydrolysis (Small 18/2019). Small, 15: 1970092
- Leith, Gabrielle; Rice, Allison; Yarbrough, Brandon; Berseneva, Anna; Ly, Richard; Buck, Charles; Chusov, Denis; Brandt, Amy; Chen, Donna; Lamm, Benjamin; Stefik, Morgan; Stephenson, Kenneth; Smith, Mark; Vannucci, Aaron; Pellechia, Perry; Garashchuk, Sophya; Shustova, Natalia(2020). A Dual Threat: Redox-Activity and Electronic Structures of Well-Defined Donor-Acceptor Fulleretic Covalent-Organic Materials. Angewandt Chemie, 59(15), 6000-6006.
- Marsh, Zachary M.; Blom, Douglas A.; Stefik, Morgan(2019). Tunable Fluorophobic Effect Determines Nanoparticle Dispersion in Homopolymers and Block Polymers. Advanced Materials Interfaces, 7(5), 1-8.
- Toporovska, L.; Turko, B.; Savchak, M.; Seyedi, M.; Luzinov, I.; Kostruba, A.; Kapustianyk, V.; Vaskiv, A. (2020). Zinc Oxide: Reduced Graphene Oxide Nanocomposite Film for Heterogeneous Photocatalysis. Optical and Quantum Electronics, 52(1), 1-12.
CONFERENCE PAPERS, POSTERS OR PRESENTATIONS
- Kuksenok, Olga, Meeting, 2018, Pattern Formation in Hydrogels – Controlling Functionality via Feedback Mechanism, 2018 Spring Materials Research Society Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Hornat, Chris; Yang, Ying; Urban, Marek, Presentation, 2018, Quantitative Predictions of Shape Memory Effects (SME) in Polymers via Viscoelastic Length Transitions (VLTs), SC EPSCoR Annual State Conference, Columbia, SC
- Palkar, Vaibhav; Kuksenok, Olga, Presentation, 2018, Theory for 3D Magnetic Rotational Spectroscopy of Complex Fluids, 75th Annual Meeting of the Society for Experimental Mechanics, Greenville, SC
- Mefford, Thompson, Presentation, 2018, Integrated approach for the fabrication of multifunctional metal and metal oxide nanoparticles: Particles, Polymers, and Potential, Xavier University: Chemistry Department Seminar, New Orleans, LA
- Urban, Marek, Meeting, 2017, The Role of Shape Memory in Self-Healing Polymers Meeting MACROMEX 2017. Los Cabos, Mexico
- Urban, Marek, Presentation, 2018, Quantitative Predictions of Shape Memory Effects (SME) in Polymers via Viscoelastic Length Transitions (VLTs), SC EPSCoR Annual State Conference, Columbia, SC
- Urban, Marek, Presentation, 2018, Physico-Chemical Aspects of Self-Healable Polymers, Quantitative Predictions of Shape Memory Effects in Polymers, 254th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Washington, DC
- Urban, Marek, Presentation, 2018, Quantitative Predictions of Shape Memory Effects in Polymers, 254th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Washington, DC
- Urban, Marek, Presentation, 2017, Self-Healable Polymers Recent Advances and the Future, 4th US Symposium on Advances in Polymer Science, MACROMEX 2017, Los Cabos, Mexico
- Ali, Aon; LAmoreaux, Nicholas; Larsen, Jessica, Presentation, 2018, Development of Persistent Prolate Shaped Polymersomes for Drug Delivery, International Nanomedicine and Drug Delivery Symposium, Portland, OR
- Carnahan, Savannah; Petty, Jeff, Poster, 2018, Relationship between adenine and silver cluster fluorescence, Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Augusta, GA
- Devens, Declan; Goess, Brian, Poster, 2018, Amination of ()-hibiscone C: Creating an amine library, Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Augusta, GA
- Flanagan, Grace; Goess, BrianPoster, 2018, Progress Towards the Synthesis of Cyclopropanated Hibiscone C, Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Augusta, GA
- Goess, Brian, Presentation, 2018, Total Synthesis of Hibiscone B and Acyl Hibiscone B, Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Augusta, GA
- Kuksenok, Olga, Presentation (invited), 2018, Designing active membranes: from responsive gels to highly thermostable biocatalytic systems, Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Augusta, GA
- Kuksenok, Olga, Presentation (invited), 2019, Dynamic Control of Pattern Formation and Hysteresis Loops in Gels and Composites, American Chemical Society Spring National Meeting, Orlando, FL
- Larsen, Jessica, Presentation (invited), 2018, Targeted Nano-Polymersomes Extend Enzyme Replacement Therapy ot the Brain of GM1 Gangliosidosis Felines, International Nanomedicine and Drug Delivery Symposium, Portland, OR
- Luzinov, Igor, Presentation, 2018, Highly conductive nanoscale films via thermal conversion of polymer-encapsulated graphene oxide sheets, EASTWEST Chemistry Conference, Lviv, Ukraine
- Luzinov, Igor, Presentation, 2019, Perfluoropolyether-based molecular bottlebrush as water/oil repellent additive for fiber forming thermoplastics, American Chemical Society Spring National Meeting, Orlando, FL
- Luzinov, Igor, Presentation, 2018, Polymer/Ag Nanoparticles Composite for Chloroform Detection, 2018 IEEE 38th International Conference on Electronics and Nanotechnology (ELNANO), Kiev, Ukraine
- Luzinov, Igor, Presentation, 2018, Polypropylene and PETG 3D Printed Hybrid Structures Presentation, 2018 Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA
- Luzinov, Igor, Presentation, 2019, Toward Improvement of Polypropylene Mechanical Properties by Addition of Silicon Carbide Whiskers, American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA
- Palkar, Vaibhav(Kornev; Kuksenok); Conference Proceedings, Published, Theory for 3D Magnetic Rotational Spectroscopy of Complex Fluids, SEM 2018, 2018. Greenville, SC
- Larison, Taylor and Stefik, Morgan. Response of Sticky Block Polymers towards Nanoparticles. 28th NSF EPSCoR National Conference, Columbia, SC, 2019.
- Luzinov, Igor and Erik S Antonio. Solving adhesive problems in 3D printed hybrid structures. 94th Colloid Surface Science Symposium of the American Chemical Society, Atlanta, GA, 2019.
- Luzinov, Igor and Erik S Antonio. Solving Adhesive Problems in 3D Printed Structures. Automotive Circle Conference: Insight BMW, Greenville, SC, 2019.
- Luzinov, Igor and Kornev, Konstantin. Polymer Nanocomposites Reinforced via Alignment of Magnetized SiC Whiskers. 93rd Colloid Surface Science Symposium of the American Chemical Society, Atlanta, GA, 2019.
- Luzinov, Igor and Kuksenok, Olga. Perfluoropolyether-based molecular bottlebrush as water/oil repellent additive for thermoplastics. 96th Colloid Surface Science Symposium of the American Chemical Society, Atlanta, GA, 2019.
- Luzinov, Igor and Kuksenok, Olga. Surface Migration Activity of Perfluoropolyether-Based Molecular Bottlebrushes. International Symposium on Stimuli-Responsive Materials, Windsor, CA, 2019.
- Luzinov, Igor and Mastooreh Seyedi. Cellulose nanofibrils as functional carriers. 95th Colloid Surface Science Symposium of the American Chemical Society, Atlanta, GA, 2019.
- Luzinov, Igor and Mastooreh Seyedi. Coloring Fabrics Using Dye-Embedded Cellulose Nanofibrils. 4th International Symposium on Materials from Renewables (ISMR), Athens, GA, 2019.
Brian Benicewicz (Chem, USC)
Marek Urban (MSE, Clemson)
Xiangdong Bi (Chem, Charleston Southern)
Rajendra Bordia (MSE, Clemson) – MADE in SC Scientific Director
Yu Gong (Physics, CofC)
Dieter Haemmerich (Pediatrics, MUSC)
Olga Kuksenok (MSE, Clemson)
Jessica Larsen (CBE, Clemson)
Hyesuk Lee (Math Sci, Clemson)
Igor Luzinov (MSE, Clemson)
Thomas Mefford (MSE, Clemson)
Ken Shimizu (Chem, USC)
Morgan Stefik (Chem, USC)
Chuanbing Tang (Chem, USC)
Qi Wang (Math, USC)
Margaret Wiecek (Math Sci, Clemson)
Sheryl Wiskur (Chem, USC)
Narayanan Kuthirummal (Phys, CofC)
Nasrollah Hamidi (Chem, SCSU)
Jeffrey Petty (Chem, Furman)
MADE in SC Research Clusters
Modeling and Computation Core
Thrust 1: Optical, Electrochemical and Magnetic Materials
Thrust 2: Stimuli-Responsive Polymeric Materials
Thrust 3: Biomaterials
MGI Approach adopted by MADE in SC